Reporting flooding

Call 999 for immediate assistance if there is a risk to life or a risk of serious property or environmental damage. Please telephone us to report any flooding.

To reportContactContact details
Burst water main Thames Water Call 0800 316 9800 or text phone 0800 316 9898
Website: Thames Water website
Burst water main Severn Trent Water General enquiries: 0800 7834 444
Website: Severn Trent water website   
Burst water main Bristol Water General enquiries: 0845 702 3797
Website: Bristol Water website
Roads, blocked gullies, gratings and drains Gloucestershire County Council 24 hour tel: 08000 514514
Website: Gloucestershire County Council
Main rivers Environment Agency General enquiries: 08708 506 506
Incident hotline: 0800 807 060
Website: Environment Agency website
Other watercourses such as streams or ditches Riparian owner or our Land Drainage Team Tel: 01993 861000

Prepare for flooding

Flood warnings

The Environment Agency offers a free service that sends flood warnings direct to your phone, mobile, email or fax. Sign up at:

Protect your home from flooding

For useful information on how to prepare for a flood:

Flood protection products: the National Flood Forum produce a directory of flood protection products and services called the Blue Pages. It gives details of what a product does and where it can be obtained.


Cotswold District Council does not provide sandbags for individual domestic use. 

We do and have provided sandbags for strategic deployment during flooding – for the protection of essential services e.g., electricity or water supplies.

Sandbags when used correctly, can provide some protection from flood waters. If you wish to keep a stock of sandbags, your local builders merchants should be able to help you.

Sandbags are only effective for water up to about 20cm/8" deep.

Advice on the most effective use and position of sandbags

Sandbags are simply cloth bags that hold sand or soil so that a low wall can be built to dam the flow of water. Lay plastic sheeting under and around the wall to make it more water tight. Hold the plastic in place using sandbags.

How to build a sandbag wall

A video showing how to build a sandbag wall can be found on the Gloucestershire Prepared website.

You can also use bin liners or carrier bags filled with soil.  'Grow bags' are the right shape and light enough to be carried around easily.

Disposal of sandbags

Property owners /occupiers are responsible for disposing their own sandbags once the risk of flooding has subsided. If emptied and dried, the sacks can be used again. The sand can be dug into the garden to assist in soil drainage.

Travel during flooding


Do not walk through flooded areas as there may be hidden dangers such as open drains, damaged road surfaces, submerged debris or deep channels.

Transport and travel

Do not try to drive through flooded roads or fords; the water is often deeper than it looks and your vehicle may be swept away or you may become stranded.

For the latest information about:

Clearing up after a flood and sewage problem

Public Health England have produced the following guidance: 

For further information about coping in the aftermath of a major incident and flooding guide, please:

Do not re-enter your house until all floodwater has been removed. The fire service may be able to help you with pumping floodwater out of your house but if the water is still rising there is no point in doing this as it will only come straight back in 

Repair and Renew Grant and Business Support Scheme

The Repair and Renew Grant (RRG) and Business Support scheme were both terminated in June 2015.

Cotswold District Council
Trinity Road