Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - For information on changes to our services, how to get help, support your community, advice and grants for employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

Blocked drains and sewers

If your property is connected to a main sewer, it will drain through a private drain or sewer and into the public sewer. The private section within your property boundary is your responsibility and you are expected to deal with any drainage problems / repairs.

If you suspect a public sewer problem contact the water utility that services your area:

A public sewer is the responsibility of the water company and is generally referred to as the main sewer.

Records of all public sewers within the area can be viewed online at our offices.

If you are moving home

We strongly advise you find out the extent of your responsibilities if you are moving home. For newly built houses, we suggest that developers lay their drainage systems to water company specifications so that they can become their responsibility. Ask your solicitor to check.

Related Pages