Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - For information on changes to our services, how to get help, support your community, advice and grants for employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

Environmental permits

Some facilities could harm the environment or human health unless they are controlled. The environmental permitting regime requires operators of certain facilities to:

  • get an environmental permit
  • register an exemption for certain waste facilities

The regulator is either the local authority or the Environment Agency depending on the nature or size of the operation.

The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010

The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010, require an environmental permit to be held to operate a regulated facility.

Recently, these regulations have been substantially amended by Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2013 to apply the Industrial Emissions Directive 2010/75/EU.

Environmental permit

Operators of prescribed activities must apply to the regulator authority for a permit to operate the activities. It is an offence to operate without a permit.

An environmental permit will contain conditions that aim to minimise pollution from these activities, which may include monitoring emissions, using abatement methods, maintaining equipment, handling of materials and keeping records.

For more information including the general guidance manual and specific process guidance notes visit the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA).

Permitted installations are inspected regularly, based on a risk assessment system and enforcement action may be taken if there are breaches in conditions. For details of the fees for operating an environment permit which are set and reviewed by DEFRA, see annual subsistence fees.

Apply for an environment permit/exemption

If you would like to apply for a permit please contact us with details of the proposed activity and location.

We will give you an application form and details of the application fee. For details of the fees see environmental permitting fees on the DEFTA website.

View public register of permits

We need to maintain a public register of permits that we regulate. Details held on the public register files my be viewed by appointment at the Council Offices, Trinity Road, Cirencester.

Control of industrial emissions

We are responsible for allowing certain smaller industrial processes (Part B processes) and conditions are applied to control air pollution.   

The Environment Agency is responsible for larger industrial process and conditions apply to control air, land and water pollution for these installations.