Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - For information on changes to our services, how to get help, support your community, advice and grants for employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is for working age people who are on a low income or out of work. It replaces these existing benefits and tax credits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income-based Jobseekers’ allowance
  • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Working Tax Credits

You cannot usually get any of these benefits or tax credits separately if you get Universal Credit. If you are already claiming at least one of these benefits or tax credits and your circumstances do not change, the DWP will transfer you onto Universal Credit at a later date. 

For help with housing costs you will need to apply directly to The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

How to apply

You can claim Universal Credit and manage your account online.

Apply for universal credit - GOV.UK

How we can help

Although Universal Credit is run by the DWP we are here to support you. 

For help and financial advice if you are struggling to manage payments contact our benefits team by:

The council tax support page has additional support for paying council tax.

The discretionary housing payments page which helps people who are receiving their housing costs paid through Universal Credit but are struggling to pay their rent or need help with moving costs or rent in advance.