For up-to-date information on support in Gloucestershire see the Gloucestershire County Council website: https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/your-community/ukrainian-support/
This is a fast moving situation and we are currently advocating that anyone who wants to help support the people affected by the Ukraine crisis do so via the routes detailed below.
Homes for Ukraine scheme
The Government's "Homes for Ukraine" scheme - led by The Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities - enables people in the UK to nominate an individual or family to stay with them rent-free, or in another property, for at least six months.
Charities, businesses and community groups will also be able to apply with households offered £350 a month to help support the refugees. Checks will be made on all hosts by the Government and Ukrainian applicants will also undergo security checks. Ukrainians welcomed into this scheme will be eligible to work, access state benefits and public services for three years.
Information on local support for guests and sponsors is available on the Gloucestershire County Council website. The local Gloucestershire councils are working together to provide support for any Ukrainian guests and their sponsors in the county.
This scheme is currently the only way an individual or community can support a Ukrainian refugee with accommodation and the only way a Ukrainian refugee can enter the country as specified by the Government.
To find out more about the scheme you can visit the links on the Government website:
- How to sponsor Ukrainian refugees and offer them a home in the UK
- Guidance for sponsors
- Welcome guide for Ukrainians arriving in the UK
Information for those affected and family members
If you are a family member of someone directly affected you can find more information on the links below:
- Support for family members of British nationals in Ukraine, and Ukrainian nationals in Ukraine and the UK
- Information on travel advice to and from Ukraine
- Guidance for family members of British nationals, UK settled persons and certain others to come to or stay in the UK under the Ukraine Family Scheme.
City of Sanctuary are an organisation helping to build a more welcoming UK for people forced to flee their homes. They work with individuals, groups and organisations: https://cityofsanctuary.org/
Barnardo’s free helpline to support Ukrainian families
Barnardo’s has set up the Ukrainian Support Helpline to provide a holistic support service. The helpline is available to anyone fleeing the conflict in Ukraine.
Barnardo’s free helpline (0800 148 8586) is staffed by English, Ukrainian and Russian speakers, to offer support to children and families arriving in the UK from Ukraine. Callers will be able to get help and advice on a range of topics.
A dedicated email address email@example.com and webpage have also been set up for those assisting with the Ukraine response: https://www.barnardos.org.uk/what-we-do/helping-families/ukrainian-helpline
A number of organisations have set up appeals for help for those caught up in this situation. These organisations are providing humanitarian support for people in the Ukraine. We are asking people not to try and send clothing or physical donations and instead provide a financial donation directly to the charities below.
- The Disaster Emergency Committee website is the main appeal being run by the UK’s Disaster Emergency Committee (DEC) and the one the Government is encouraging people to donate to so the funds can be shared across a range of charities.
There are also other organisations working to support the people of Ukraine, some of which are included in the DEC appeal:
- The British Red Cross - support people in this conflict by supplying shelter, medicines, water, food and clothes
- Unicef - deliver life saving programmes to children along with water to heavily affected areas of war
- The UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) - work with local authorities in Ukraine to provide assistance for refugees
- Oxfam - people can donate through the website or in their shops
For local donations you can donate to Gloucestershire Action for Refugees and Asylum Seekers who will be providing support to Ukrainian and other refugees coming into Gloucestershire. Visit their website for more information.
Please be safe online when donating money to support Ukraine. Ensure that you research any organisation or website that asks for money before submitting your payment details.
If you have any enquiries you can contact us at Ukraine.firstname.lastname@example.org.