Skip to main content

European Union Settlement Scheme

Claiming Settled Status

The EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) is a registration process for EU nationals and their family members who wish to stay in the UK now the UK has left the EU.

All EU nationals who do not have British citizenship will need to apply for settled status. 

If your application is successful, you’ll get either settled or pre-settled status. This means you’ll be able to:

  • work in the UK
  • use the NHS
  • enrol in education or continue studying
  • access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if you’re eligible for them
  • travel in and out of the UK

Deadlines for applying

The deadline for applying for most people was 30 June 2021. You can still apply if that deadline did not apply to you, or you have ‘reasonable grounds’ for not applying by the deadline.

What you will need to apply

To apply to the EUSS, residents will need a current valid EU, EEA or Swiss passport or a valid Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) for family members of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen.

Applicants need to scan their identity documents using a compatible Android phone or tablet and fill out an online application.

It is free to apply to the scheme.

Organisations who may assist an application for EU Settled Status

Government guidance on EU Settlement Scheme

The Government has published a full guide to how the scheme works, which explains who needs to apply and takes you to the online application form. You do not have to apply if you are an Irish or British Citizen including dual citizens of these countries. The guide is available in 26 European languages

Home Office Assisted Digital Service

Residents needing either telephone or face to face support to complete the whole application can request this from the Home Office by contacting the Assisted Digital Service.

  • Phone: 03333 445 675
  • Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm
  • Saturday 9am to 4pm