We want you to be successful and to only incur costs to become licensed if you are confident that you can provide all the required evidence. We recommend you check what evidence you will need to provide before starting your application. All items that you pay for are non refundable.
Here is a breakdown of the typical costs:
- £262 for a New Applicant Licence to drive a Hackney Carriage (HC) / Private Hire Licensed Vehicle (PHLV)
- £79 for a Knowledge Test (payable each time you sit the test)
- £85 for a Driver Assessment Taxi Test (which assesses your driving)
- £53.67 for an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring check and certificate (DBS) (and ongoing cost of £13 per year to be registered)
- £40 for a Safeguarding training course
- £120 - £200 average cost charged by your GP / Optician for their medical and vision assessments
- English Proficiency Test (If required)
The costs involved with making a first application are between £600 - £700 and can be more depending on the number of tests you take, if you need to repeat assessments or extra requirements due to your personal circumstances.
Additional costs to consider
It is not just you that is licensed as the driver. Your car will need to be checked and a vehicle licence set up. The car must be under 5 years old at the time you start your licence and there is a cost for the Vehicle Licence. Please see Vehicle Licence Information to get a full picture of the cost related to the vehicle. And, if you are planning to drive under a Private Hire Licence (PHL), you will need to be licensed as an operator if you are not working for a company.