Skip to main content

Personal licence

You must have a personal licence:

  • to sell or supply alcohol at a licensed premises
  • if you are the designated premises supervisor (DPS) at a licensed premises

A designated premises supervisor (DPS) is the person who has day-to-day responsibility for the running of the business.

Personal licences do not expire unless they are surrendered, suspended or revoked.

What you will need to apply for a licence

We’ll only accept your DBS certificate if it’s less than 30 days old.


  • £37 for a new licence
  • £23 for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check (if required)
  • £10.50 to change the name or address
  • £10.50 to replace a lost or stolen licence

How to apply

You must apply to the licensing authority in the area you live.

Return your completed application form, supporting documents and fee to [email protected]

Or you can post them to us at:

Business Support – Licensing
Environmental and Regulatory Services
Trinity Road

How you can pay:

  • by phone (01285) 623000
  • by cheque sent with your application form

Right to work and immigration status - Immigration Act 2016

To hold a personal licence, you must live in the UK. You must also provide proof that you:

  • have a right to work in the UK
  • have no conditions that stop you doing the licensed activity

You must include copies, or scanned copies of these documents:

What happens next

You can usually expect to receive your licence within 7 working days.

If you have any unspent, relevant offences, we must consult with Gloucestershire Constabulary. They will decide whether the offence will affect the ‘crime and disorder’ licensing objective.

If they object then our licensing sub-committee will review your application.

Change of name/address

To change the name or address on your licence, return your card with a covering letter and proof of new name (if changing). You must also include a new passport photo and the £10.50 fee.

You can pay by cheque to the address above, or by telephone: (01285) 623000.

Replacement Licence

To replace a lost or stolen licence, call our customer services team on (01285) 623000 to pay the £10.50 replacement fee. We’ll then send you a new one.