If you plan to demolish a building, or part of a building, you may need to submit a demolition notice, giving six weeks' notice, to:

  • our building control team;
  • neighbouring owners and
  • electric, gas and water service providers.

You don’t need to notify us about demolition of:

  • buildings with an external size of less than 50m3 which is smaller than the average double garage
  • building extensions on a larger building that consist of an attached conservatory, shed or garage
  • buildings used solely for agriculture
  • work in occupied buildings where it is intended that it should continue to be occupied.

Fill in a demolition notice

Download and fill in the:

If required, we will send out a 'counter notice' with conditions in the interests of public safety and neighbouring owners/occupiers.

Starting demolition work

Demolition work should only start after either:

  • we have served a counter notice; or
  • six weeks after the demolition notice was sent; or
  • we've confirmed in writing that a counter notice will not be served.

Other consents and permissions

You may also need other consents before you carry out your demolition works, for example

  • Demolition of all or part of a listed building requires listed building consent
  • Demolition of unlisted buildings or structures in a conservation area may require planning permission
  • Protected species licence. Bats and their roosts and nesting birds and their nests are protected by law. For further information please see the Natural England website

Asbestos materials

If materials containing asbestos are found during demolition, please:

If the skip operator or other contractor is not licensed to transport asbestos based products, a licence will be required from the Environment Agency.

Cotswold District Council
Trinity Road