Strategic housing market assessment
Strategic housing market assessment 2014
The six Gloucestershire district and borough councils and Gloucestershire County Council jointly commissioned consultants to update the Strategic Housing Market Assessment (SHMA) for the Gloucestershire Housing Market Area of the South West Region.
This assessment helps us to understand the nature and level of housing demand and need within the joint market area and provides information and guidance for a variety of housing and planning policies.
The assessment provides the following information.
- Estimates of current dwellings in terms of size, type, condition and tenure
- Analysis of past and current housing market trends, and key issues affecting the housing market
- Estimate of current number of households in housing need
- Estimate of future households requiring market and affordable housing
- Estimate of the sizes of housing required
- Estimate of households groups who have particular household requirements
The Update was required to inform the prospective development plans being produced in several authorities within the County and to ensure compliance with the NPPF.
Strategic housing market assessment 2008
In 2007, the six gloucestershire district and borough councils and Gloucestershire County Council jointly commissioned consultants to complete a strategic housing market assessment (SHMA) for the joint gloucestershire housing market area.
In April 2012 an additional chapter (see chapter 16) was added to summarise the results and the policy implications of the 2009 housing needs assessment (HNA). Chapter 16 updates and takes precedence over the results of the original SHMA and the technical report for the gloucestershire SHMA on housing needs and demand.
The SHMA documents are available to download. It is advisable to read the executive summary first.