Have you had your council tax bill yet?

Release date: 16 March 2016

We’re currently writing to all homes in the District to let you know how much council tax you need to pay towards local services.

In February, Cotswold District Council voted to freeze its share of council tax, and also agreed a freeze on parking and garden waste collection charges (while continuing to offer free parking after 3 pm in the Forum and Brewery car parks in Cirencester during the Market Place refurbishment scheme). Additionally, we set aside £500,000 to expedite the installation of high speed broadband across the District, and up to £75,000 to fast-track a project which will address concerns about parking provision in Cirencester.

Gloucestershire County Council and the Police have increased their costs.

Although we issue the bills and collect payment, Cotswold District Council only keeps 8.2% of the money paid. The remainder is shared between:

- Gloucestershire County Council 73.8%

- Gloucestershire Police 13.7%, and

– Your local town or parish council (around 4.3%)

This means an average Band D property will only pay £126.40 a year for our services - this remains less than half the national average, equating to just £2.43 per household per week for all services provided by Cotswold Distict Council.

You can pay your bill:

- Annually, or

- In instalments over 12 months, or

- In instalments over 10 months until January 2017.

There are a number of different ways to pay with direct debit being the simplest.

The council tax bill assumes that there are at least two people over the age of 18 living in the property. If only one adult lives there we will reduce your bill by 25%, you must apply for this discount. Certain exemptions are also available if you meet specific criteria.

When you receive your bill please check that all the information is correct. If you would like to change how you pay your bill, or notify us of a change of circumstances, then please get in touch with us.

Adult social care and council tax

From April 2016, authorities responsible for adult social care can increase council tax by an additional 2% per year without holding a referendum. This amount is specifically to help with the cost of adult social care and has been approved by the Government. Subject to annual approval by the House of Commons, this increase can be made annually up to, and including, 2019-20.

Gloucestershire County Council is responsible for adult social care across the County - please:

To find out more about council tax please: 

Please note: paying council tax does not automatically add you to the electoral register – you still need to register to vote. See /about-the-council/elections/register-to-vote/

Cotswold District Council
Trinity Road