New Year – new training opportunity for tourism experiences
Release date: 7 January 2019
Cotswold Tourism is leading a new tourism project which is set to launch to the international travel trade industry in 2019. This will help to promote tourism across the wider Cotswolds region following our success in gaining the award of £250,000 worth of funding through Year 3 of the UK Governments £40 million Discover England Fund.
The ‘Uncover the Cotswolds' project should boost inbound tourism with a focus on attracting visitors from the Nordic markets, Italy and Spain. The aim will be to disperse visitors across the wider region and provide them with greater access to authentic local experiences.
The 2019 tourism year starts with a free training offer for tourism businesses in the Cotswold area, including some businesses that have already been identified by the tourism partnership, as offering unique experiences. However, there is capacity for more local unique tourism experience-led businesses to attend the these training sessions to learn more about the project.
On 18 January the first course will take place at the Tewkesbury Park Hotel. The morning session will cover how to develop an experience, including how to ‘package’ with other local businesses, as well as understanding more about the 'Uncover the Cotswolds'project. There will then be an opportunity for businesses to network over a buffet lunch and then focus in the afternoon on how to enable online bookings for venues and attractions. The presenters will also investigate Visit England’s new tourism toolkit – Taking England to the World, and have an opportunity to learn from the experiences of successful tourism businesses.
The same course will run again at Rodbourough near Stroud on 21 January and Moreton-in-Marsh on 22 January (both kindly hosted by the Cotswold Inns and Hotels group). There will also be a session in West Oxfordshire on 17 January at the Macdonald Bear Hotel Woodstock and Blenheim Palace.
Anyone interested in finding out more about how to get involved in the ‘Uncover the Cotswolds’ project should email firstname.lastname@example.org or register for updates via www.cotswolds.com/uncoverthecotswolds
Project leader for Cotswolds Tourism, Sally Graff, explains further:
“I am delighted that Cotswolds Tourism has secured this £250,000 funding and I would like to thank all our partners involved in the project. Working with local businesses, we want to develop authentic year round local tourism experiences, and create tours which can be booked in totality or in part, via tour operators, with different budget options available.”
“I would encourage tourism businesses in the area to liaise with Cotswolds Tourism and sign up for the free training sessions we are providing, Tourism is an important sector driving the local economy and we want to help everyone to exploit any opportunities to the full.”
Tourism businesses in Gloucestershire also have another opportunity to learn more about the work being done locally to promote tourism at a Gloucestershire tourism forum being held at Kingsholm Rugby Club on 31 January organised with Marketing Gloucester. This event will have workshops, speakers and updates to ensure tourism businesses can adapt to new trends in tourism, including the impact of digital marketing and accessible tourism.
To book one of the training workshops see details at www.cotswolds.com/uncoverthecotswolds
About the Discover England Fund
- In November 2015, the Government announced a £40 million Discover England Fund; an unprecedented opportunity for English tourism. The Fund aims to deliver world-class bookable tourism products joined up across geographies and/or themes; including integrated transport solutions to provide an end-to-end customer experience.
- The Fund supports the growth of one of England’s most successful export industries, inbound tourism. Tourism is an industry that delivers jobs and economic growth across the English regions – contributing some £106bn each year to the economy and supporting 2.6 million jobs.
- The Fund supported a number of pilot projects in year one (2016/17) that tested product development approaches. In years two and three, 2017-19, the fund will support:
- A number of large-scale collaborative projects to be delivered over the two year period 2017-2019 that will create a step-change in bookable English tourism product for international consumers,
- 2 rounds of smaller funding for piloting new ideas (in year two), and delivering on new themes/ target markets (in year 3)
- There have also been opportunities for existing smaller projects to receive support in each following year to upscale their activities
- VisitBritain/VisitEngland is the national tourism agency – a non-departmental public body funded by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS)
- Working with a wide range of partners in both the UK and overseas, our mission is to grow the volume and value of inbound tourism across the nations and regions of Britain and to develop world-class English tourism product to support our growth aspirations. For further information and to access the latest in-depth market intelligence and statistics visit www.visitbritain.org or www.visitbritain.com and www.visitengland.com for consumer information.
About Cotswolds Tourism
Cotswolds Tourism is the official Destination Management Organisation promoting and marketing tourism across the Cotswolds. A public-private sector partnership, the aim is to grow the Cotswolds visitor economy by raising awareness about the destination and generating additional tourism visits and spend.
Cotswolds Tourism is a partnership of tourism businesses, supported by local authorities of Cheltenham Borough Council, Cotswold District Council, Stroud District Council, Tewkesbury Borough Council, West Oxfordshire District Council and the Cotswolds Conservation Board. Cotswolds Tourism’s priority is to grow the area’s Visitor Economy by raising awareness of the destination and generating additional tourism visits and spend. For key economic statistics and information see www.cotswolds.com/partnership