Normally your application will be assessed and the amount of benefit calculated from the Monday after the date of your application.
In some circumstances we understand it may not be possible to apply immediately so we may be able to backdate your application.
Some examples where we may be able to backdate your benefits are:
- if you were ill and there was no-one to apply for you
- you were in hospital
- there was a bereavement in your family
- you were unable to handle your own affairs.
To request backdating complete and return the form.
Evidence to support your request
If you can provide evidence to support your application we will be able to process your application more quickly. Examples of evidence are:
- a letter from your GP to support a medical reason
- a letter from your social worker
We can backdate applications for the following number of months before your request for backdating:
- a maximum of one month if you are of working age
- a maximum of three months if you are a pensioner.
When your application has been processed we will write to you to let you know our decision.
Appeal a benefits decision
If you disagree with our decision you can write to us within one calendar month telling us why you disagree and ask us to review your application.
For more information about backdating an application email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01285 623035.