Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - For information on changes to our services, how to get help, support your community, advice and grants for employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

Appeal a benefit decision

When we receive your completed application we will calculate your benefits and send you a decision letter.

If you disagree with our decision you can ask for an explanation of how the decision was made. This must be done in one month of receiving the decision letter

After a month we will explain the decision to you but we may not be able to look at the decision again if you then think that it is wrong.

Ask us to reconsider

If you are still unhappy after receiving more information you can ask for your application to be reconsidered within a month. Complete and return the Form to dispute  a benefit decision.

Your application will be reviewed by a senior officer who will check that it was correctly assessed and make any necessary changes.

If you receive a new decision notice and you still disagree you will need to begin the disputing process again by asking for further explanation.

Appeal a housing benefit decision

If you think our decision is wrong you can ask us to pass your case to an independent appeal tribunal. Complete and return the form to appeal a housing benefit decision. 

When we receive your appeal form we will arrange a hearing where:

  • you will be able to state why you disagree with the decision and give any relevant evidence
  • we will explain how the decision was reached.

The tribunal will make a decision about your entitlement. This decision must be honoured by us and you. For more information about questioning a benefits decision email or call 01285 623035.

Appeal a council tax support decision

If you disagree with our decision you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service within one calendar month of our letter. Visit the Valuation Tribunal Service website or call 0300 123 2035.