There are two types of driver licences:
Dual driver (hackney carriage)
- can drive both taxis and private hire vehicles
- need to pass a knowledge test
Private hire driver
- can only drive private hire vehicles
- cannot accept any bookings unless they either are, or work for, a licensed private hire operator within the Cotswold District Council area
- need to pass a knowledge test
Apply to be a private hire or dual driver
A new application costs £246, to apply you must:
- Pass the knowledge test (see below)
- Complete a medical examination (see below)
- Complete a driver assessment test: This can be arranged online directly by visiting: Diamond Advanced motoring website
- Complete a Safeguarding Training course (see below to book your course)
- Obtain a DVLA licence check reference number from GOV.UK
- Complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check (see below). These must be done every 3 years. It costs £54.69 which must be paid online at the time of submission to DBS
Contact us on 01285 623000 to book and pay for a knowledge test:
- The knowledge test costs £75
- You must take photo identification with you to test (a passport or photocard driving licence)
The knowledge test is broken down into the following sections:
For Dual Drivers (Hackney Carriage and Private Hire):
- Highway Code – Based on the national rules for safe driving
- Numeracy – Simple calculations on time, distance and monetary values
- Policy Questions – All questions are related to the Policy. You should therefore ensure that you have read this document.
- Routes – Based on road names and numbers within the district and to major destinations i.e. hotels, schools, train stations and airports which will require knowledge of the major motorway network.
- Places of interest – Places within the district to include pubs, clubs, hotels, supermarkets, public buildings, train stations, museums, schools and some of the main road names.
For Private Hire Drivers:
- Highway Code - Based on the national rules for safe driving
- Numeracy - Simple calculations on time, distance and monetary values
- Policy Questions - All questions are related to the Policy. You should therefore ensure that you have read this document.
Each section has 20 questions. You must score at least 16/20 in each section and achieve a pass mark of 80% overall (e.g. Dual Drivers 80/100 and Private Hire Drivers 48/60).
Further information on the knowledge test requirements can be found in Annex 3 of the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy
You will get your result within 5 days of the test.
A DVLA Group 2 (D4) Medical examination must be completed by a general practitioner (GP) and you will need to arrange this directly with a suitable GP or medical practice. Please ensure that you state the purpose of your appointment when booking as not all GPs can complete the examination due to the vision assessment and therefore you may also need an appointment with an optician or optometrist.
Please note that the Group 2 Medical Examination Report must be accompanied by the Council’s Medical Declaration Form, which must be completed and signed by you and the GP at the time of the examination. Your medical report will not be accepted without a declaration form, if we do not receive this form you will have to return to your GP to complete this.
Download a DVLA Group 2 (D4) Medical examination form
Download a Medical Declaration Form
Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks
From 1 April 2018 all licence holders are required to sign up to the Online Update Service with the DBS so that the check remains active, this must be done within 30 days of the DBS certificate being issued. The certificate number used for your registration must then be provided to the licensing team to record on file. If the licence holder fails to sign up to this service on renewal of their DBS (or issue for new applicants), the licence will be suspended. Please see the DBS website using the following link for further details:
Apply for a DBS check
- Select: Disclosure and barring service (DBS) application
- Enter the following details:
- Organisation reference - COTSWOLD
- Organisation Code – council
- You need to pay £54.69 online fee for an enhanced application.
When you have completed and submitted the form, please:
- email your reference number to: email@example.com
To process your application, you must bring 3 forms of identification to the Council offices to be checked by a member of reception. Applicants who hold a valid passport and drivers licence must present these as 2 of their 3 forms of ID. For a full list of ID that is allowed for a DBS check please:
If you have any previous cautions or convictions, these will need to be determined by a Licensing Sub-Committee. Please refer to our policy on convictions for more information.
Apply for or renew a drivers licence
Please return your completed application form, DBS reference number, medical certificate, DVLA reference number, assessment certificate, safeguarding certificate, a passport photo, documents and fee by:
- email (pay by phone) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- post or deliver to: Licensing, Environmental and Regulatory Services, Trinity Road, Cirencester, GL7 1PX
Applications must be submitted fully complete to be processed. Your application will be processed within 5 working days.
Safeguarding training courses
Below are the dates for the safeguarding courses in 2019. The course costs £35.00. To book onto one of the courses please:
- select your date
- have your credit/debit card available as payment will be taken at time of booking.
- call Gloucester City Council on 01452 396396
|8 October 2019||9:30 to 12:30||Civic Suite, North Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester. GL1 2EP|
|3 December 2019||9:30 to 12:30||Civic Suite, North Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester. GL1 2EP|
|5 February 2020||9:30 to 12:30||Civic Suite, North Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester. GL1 2EP|
|7 April 2020||9:30 to 12:30||Civic Suite, North Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester. GL1 2EP|
|9 June 2020||9:30 to 12:30||Civic Suite, North Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester. GL1 2EP|
|4 August 2020||9:30 to 12:30||Civic Suite, North Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester. GL1 2EP|
|6 October 2020||9:30 to 12:30||Civic Suite, North Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester. GL1 2EP|
|8 December 2020||9:30 to 12:30||Civic Suite, North Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester. GL1 2EP|
Renewing a licence
Renewal of a drivers licence costs £180
Please make sure that you know your licence expiry date. Renewal documents will not be provided so as the licence holder it's your responsibility to:
- download the application form from this page
- make sure you return the form to Environmental and Regulatory Services (ERS) 7 working days before the licence expires so we can process your renewal.
Please return your completed renewal forms by:
- emailing them to: email@example.com or
- posting or delivering them to: Licensing, Environmental and Regulatory Services, Trinity Road, Cirencester,GL7 1PX
If you allow your licence to expire you will need to submit a new application rather than a renewal, therefore the new application criteria will apply.
Immigration Act 2016 - proof of right to work
From 1 December 2016, applicants will be required to prove that they have the right to work within the UK. We will call to book a 10 minute face to face interview to check your right to work in the UK. You will need to bring in original documents for this check, please view the list of suitable ID below:
- the list of valid ID documents
- if you have a permanent right to work within the UK, you will need to bring in a form of ID from List A
- If you have a period of 'leave' you will need to bring in a form of ID from List B, Group 1 or Group 2 depending on which group applies to you.
This check is only needed once and, if you have the right to work, won't be required for future renewals. If you have a period of ‘leave’ we will need to check each time the licence is renewed. We will keep copies of the documents on file for audit purposes and for potential information sharing with the Home Office.
Additional application requirements for foreign nationals and people who have lived outside England, Wales and the Republic of Ireland
The Council must be satisfied that you are a "fit and proper person". The DBS Criminal Record Check covers England, Wales and the Republic of Ireland. The Council needs to take account of any offences committed outside these countries. If you are a foreign national or are a person who has resided outside of England, Wales and the Republic of Ireland please read Section 1.1 of the Taxi and Private Hire Policy to ensure you understand what documents you must submit with your application.
Other Driver fees
|Replacement driver badge||£28.00|
|Fee to convert from Private Hire to Dual Driver (not including the knowledge test fee)||£53.00|
|Administration charge for any other requests||£25.00|
We will not refund any licences