Driver licences

There are two types of driver licences:

Dual driver (hackney carriage)

  • can drive both taxis and private hire vehicles
  • need to pass a knowledge test

Private hire driver

  • can only drive private hire vehicles 
  • cannot accept any bookings unless they either are, or work for, a licensed private hire operator within the Cotswold District Council area
  • need to pass a knowledge test

Apply to be a private hire or dual driver

A new application costs £246

Contact us on 01285 623000 to book and pay for a knowledge test:

  • The knowledge test costs £75
  • You must take photo identification with you to test (a passport or photocard driving licence)
  • You will get your result within 5 days of the test

When you have passed the knowledge test please:

Medical examinations

A DVLA Group 2 (D4) Medical examination must be completed by a general practitioner (GP) and you will need to arrange this directly with a suitable GP or medical practice. Please ensure that you state the purpose of your appointment when booking as not all GPs can complete the examination due to the vision assessment and therefore you may also need an appointment with an optician or optometrist.

Please note that the Group 2 Medical Examination Report must be accompanied by the Council’s Medical Declaration Form, which must be completed and signed by you and the GP at the time of the examination. Your medical report will not be accepted without a declaration form, if we do not receive this form you will have to return to your GP to complete this.

Download a DVLA Group 2 (D4) Medical examination form

Download a Medical Declaration Form


Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks

From 1 April 2018 all licence holders are required to sign up to the Online Update Service with the DBS so that the check remains active. A reference number must be provided to the licensing team to record on file.  If the licence holder fails to sign up to this service on renewal of their DBS (or issue for new applicants), the licence will be suspended. Please see the DBS website using the following link for further details:

Apply for a DBS check

  • Select: Disclosure and barring service (DBS) application
  • Enter the following details:
    • Organisation reference - COTSWOLD
    • Organisation Code – council
    • You need to pay £54.69 online fee for an enhanced application.

When you have completed and submitted the form, please:

To process your application, you must bring 3 forms of identification to the Council offices to be checked by a member of reception. Applicants who hold a valid passport and drivers licence must present these as 2 of their 3 forms of ID. For a full list of ID that is allowed for a DBS check please:

If you have any previous cautions or convictions, these will need to be determined by a Licensing Sub-Committee. Please refer to our policy on convictions for more information.

Apply for or renew a drivers licence

Please return your completed application form, DBS reference number, medical certificate, DVLA reference number, assessment certificate, safeguarding certificate, a passport photo, documents and fee by:

  • email (pay by phone) to:
  • post or deliver to: Licensing, Environmental and Regulatory Services, Trinity Road, Cirencester, GL7 1PX

Applications must be submitted fully complete to be processed. Your application will be processed within 5 working days.

Safeguarding training courses

Below are the dates for the safeguarding courses in 2018. The course costs £35.00. To book onto one of the courses please:

  • select your date
  • email your request to the booking contact for the date from the table below.
DateTimeVenueBooking contact details
7 August 2018 9:30 to 12:30 Civic Suite, North Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester.  GL1 2EP
9 October 2018 9:30 to 12:30 Civic Suite, North Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester.  GL1 2EP
4 December 2018 9:30 to 12:30 Civic Suite, North Warehouse, The Docks, Gloucester.  GL1 2EP

Renewing a licence

Renewal of a drivers licence costs £180

Please make sure that you know your licence expiry date. Renewal documents will not be provided so as the licence holder it's your responsibility to:

  • download the application form from this page
  • make sure you return the form to Environmental and Regulatory Services (ERS) 7 working days before the licence expires so we can process your renewal.

Please return your completed renewal forms by:

  • emailing them to: or
  • posting or delivering them to: Licensing, Environmental and Regulatory Services, Trinity Road, Cirencester,GL7 1PX

If you allow your licence to expire you will need to submit a new application rather than a renewal, therefore the new application criteria will apply. 

Immigration Act 2016 - proof of right to work

From 1 December 2016, applicants will be required to prove that they have the right to work within the UK. We will call to book a 10 minute face to face interview to check your right to work in the UK. You will need to bring in original documents for this check, please view the list of suitable ID below:

  • the list of valid ID documents
  • if you have a permanent right to work within the UK, you will need to bring in a form of ID from List A
  • If you have a period of 'leave' you will need to bring in a form of ID from List B, Group 1 or Group 2 depending on which group applies to you.

This check is only needed once and, if you have the right to work, won't be required for future renewals. If you have a period of ‘leave’ we will need to check each time the licence is renewed. We will keep copies of the documents on file for audit purposes and for potential information sharing with the Home Office.

Other Driver Fees

Replacement driver badge   £28.00
Fee to convert from Private Hire to Dual Driver (not including the knowledge test fee) £53.00
Administration charge for any other requests      £25.00

 We will not refund any licences

Cotswold District Council
Trinity Road