Coronavirus business grants
We have received Government guidance on the new Restart Grants which will assist rate paying businesses to reopen as restrictions are eased. They will support non-essential retail premises and also the hospitality, accommodation, leisure (including gyms) and personal care sectors. The Government is asking for additional checks to ensure the funding reaches the right businesses and we are working as quickly as possible to build a process to include the new requirements and get this vital funding distributed.
To make the process easy, we have contacted businesses that have already received grant payments by email with information about what is required to receive the payments. While the Council will do everything it can to pay the money as fast as possible, recipients should be aware that the additional checks required for these grants mean that payments will not start arriving in bank accounts until around 23 April at the earliest.
Those businesses that have not previously received grant payments will be asked to apply via this website.
The Government has provided us with the details of the money available to the Cotswolds for the ARG grants and the criteria we have to fulfil before the money will be issued to us. While we wait for the funding from Government, we are working on how we can best distribute funds to support local businesses and the local economy. We will share guidance and eligibility criteria on these grants as soon as possible. However, it is likely this will take a few weeks as we have to develop a new policy for this ARG grant which complies with Government guidance.
As with the Restart Grants, the Government is expecting local authorities to carry out pre-payment verification checks before ARG grant payments can be made but we will aim to ensure that applying for the new ARG grant is as straightforward as possible for businesses. Our team is working hard on establishing our processes for both the Restart Grants and the ARG grants. However, we are expecting high demand for both of these grants so please be patient and keep an eye on your mailbox for emails from us.
What you need to do to apply for a grant
Follow the guidance and eligibility criteria on this page to see what business grant support you are entitled to.
You will not need to reapply if you:
- have made a previous successful application since November 2020
- applied for a grant during or after November 2020 but have not yet been successful. We will contact you to discuss your application.
You will need to apply for a grant if you:
- have not received, or applied for, a grant during or after November,
- were unsuccessful in your previous application
Types of grant
The application form(s) are for the following business grants:
- Local Restrictions Support Grant - from 16 Feb to 31 March 2021
- Restart Grant - from 1 April 2021
- Additional Restrictions Grant - from 1 April 2021 (Currently not open - as mentioned above)
How to apply for a business grant
Complete the form linked below.
We will confirm receipt of your application by email. We understand the urgency and importance of these grants. We are expecting a high level of demand and will process the grants as fast as we can. We will let you know the outcome by email.
Applicants should fill in the relevant form as soon as you can. Make sure that you submit all the information requested as incomplete applications can experience significant delays. Once you have made an application check your emails and respond to any requests for further information as quickly as possible.
Rate paying businesses closed by national restrictions
Use this form if you meet these three criteria:
- You were mandated to close by national restrictions. This applies to hospitality, leisure and sports facilities, non-essential retail, accommodation, entertainment venues and personal care facilities. This includes businesses that have had to close the main part of their business but have adapted their business model to provide a reduced service e.g. takeaway or click and collect.
- You are liable to pay business rates, even if your bill for this year is £0 due to reliefs or exemptions
- You were operating a business that was open as usual and providing an in person service to customers from the business premises on the day before national restrictions coming in
You are not eligible if any of the following apply and you:
- do not have a business rates account
- are not required to close by law during national lockdown periods
- have a business that mainly provided takeaway or click and collect services before government restrictions came in
- have already received grant payments that equal the maximum levels of state aid permitted under the De Minimis and the Covid-19 Temporary State Aid framework
Businesses severely impacted by national restrictions (ARG grants)
The Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG) scheme is currently closed to new applications. As expected we received a high volume of applications over January to March and cannot accept any further applications for that period to ensure we do not overspend on the funds allocated to us.
If you are not eligible for a Restart Grant, you may be eligible for a grant under this discretionary scheme. We will share guidance and eligibility criteria on these grants as soon as possible.