Garden waste is collected weekly, either in green wheeled bins or in brown garden waste sacks.
The garden waste collection service costs:
- £30 for an annual garden waste wheeled bin licence OR
- £30 for supply of 50 brown garden waste sacks
- There is a 50% discount for householders who receive housing benefit or council tax support.
The garden waste wheeled bin licence is valid from 1 April to 31 March. We do not provide a refund if you move away during the year or wish to cancel further collections. All wheeled bins remain the property of Cotswold District Council.
If you are a new resident, you may also need to register with us for council tax and to vote.
You can buy brown paper garden waste sacks from the Council offices in Cirencester and Moreton-in-Marsh and cost £30 for 50 or £1 each.
NOTE - If you would like to pay for garden waste sacks (rather than a licence) please call our customer services team on 01285 623000
Change to the Service
From March 2020 the garden waste collections will change from a weekly to a fortnightly schedule (food waste collections will remain weekly). Once the fortnightly collections have been running for a few months the council intends to look at how the changes are performing and what the impact has been like for residents. As part of this review, residents will be invited to take part in a public consultation. The feedback from residents will help the council understand how well the service is working and whether any further changes are needed.
Also from March 2020, residents will no longer be able to present mixed food waste in their garden waste bins along with garden waste. From that point the food waste material will be going to an Anaerobic Digestion facility to be used to produce electricity. This will bring the Cotswolds in line with how the rest of Gloucestershire already manages its food waste.
Residents will be provided with larger and more robust pest-proof household food waste bins to allow for the separation and storage of their food waste when presented for collection.
Pay for Garden Waste Licence
Terms and Conditions
Garden waste collections
- Cotswold has a closed bin lid policy so your bin should be presented at the kerbside by 7am on your collection day with the lid firmly closed.
- black bags will not be collected - any excess that won't fit in to the bin must be contained in Cotswold District Council brown paper sacks and placed at the side.
- to ensure bins are visible from the roadside and placed in a safe place.
- to retrieve your bin from kerbside by 6pm on the day of collection.
You can check your collection day by using My Cotswold.
If you are unable to move your garden waste wheelie bin or brown garden waste sack(s) to the front of your property you can arrange an assisted collection.
What can be put in your green garden waste bin (if you subscribe)
- Grass cuttings
- Leaves, bark and tree prunings
- Twigs and small branches up to 5cm (2in) across
- Tree stumps up to 10cm (4in) across
- Bedding from herbivore pets (rabbits and guinea pigs etc)
- Cut flowers
- Plants and weeds
- Windfalls from the garden
- Vegetable waste from the garden (e.g. potato tops)
- Real Christmas trees (cut into 2-3ft sections and remove decorations)
- Kitchen roll
- Cold wood ash
- Food waste (NOTE: This will change after 4 November 2019. From that date please recycle food waste separately. See ‘Change to the Service’ above for more details).
- Plastic bags, pots or seed trays
- Ceramics or crockery
- Bricks, stones or soil
- Metal or glass
- Any other household waste
- Liquids, oil and fat (including solid fats such as lard)
- Cat and dog faeces or bedding
- Herbicides and pesticides
- Fencing and posts
- Cardboard (please recycle in blue bags)
- Waste from non-vegetarian pets (cats, dogs etc)
These items can be taken to a Household recycling centre for disposal.
Composting at home
If you already compost at home please do not stop - we encourage you to carry on doing this.
Please note that you are advised not to add meat fish and bones to your home compost bin, as it can attract vermin. However, you can recycle these items in your food waste container.
Buy a compost bin
Cotswold District Council has teamed up with getcomposting.com to provide an exclusive offer of reduced priced home compost bins, Water Butts and accessories.
To find out more and to view the full range of products please:
- visit the Get Composting website or
- call 0844 571 4444.