Personal licence

A personal licence authorises a specified person to supply alcohol or allow the supply of alcohol at a premises which has a valid premises licence. 

A designated premises supervisor (DPS) must hold a personal licence. The DPS is the person named on a premises licence who has day to day responsibility for running the premises.

You must apply to the licensing authority in the area in which you live.

How to apply

For details of how to apply, the eligibility criteria, fees and documentation please:

Immigration Act 2016 - right to work and immigration status

From 6 April 2017, individual applicants and applications from partnerships which are not limited liability partnerships are required to provide documentation to prove entitlement to work/immigration status.

To hold a licence an individual or member of a partnership must be resident in the UK and:

  • Have the right to live and work in the UK and
  • Have no conditions preventing them from doing the licensable activity 

To prove this you need to include copies or scans (which don’t need to be certified) of the following documents:

After 6 April if the licence holder no longer has the right to work in the UK the personal licence will be invalid.


The fee for a personal licence is £37.

What happens next

Providing there are no unspent relevant offences the licence will be granted.

If there are any unspent relevant offences we must consult with the chief officer of police (COP) for them to determine whether the offence has a detrimental impact on the crime and disorder licensing objective.  If we receive an objection from the COP then the application will need to be considered by the licensing sub-committee.

Cotswold District Council
Trinity Road