Parish and town councils

There are 87 parish and town councils in the district and 28 parishes which do not have a council, but a parish meeting. Parish and town councillors are elected once every four years. The next election for all councillors will be May 2019. Contact individual parish and town councils for specific information about the town or parish. 

Community Governance Review 

We are currently undertaking a review of the followning proposals put forward by several town/parish councils:  

  • to remove the current warding arrangements at town/parish level in respect of Bourton-on-the-Water, Fairford, Moreton-in-Marsh, South Cerney, and Tetbury;
  • to increase the overall number of councillors on Cirencester Town Council to 16 (from 15) by way of an increase, from one to two, of the number of councillors to represent the New Mills Ward (thereby ensuring that each town ward is represented by two councillors);
  • to increase the number of councillors on Upper Rissington Parish Council to either 9 or 11 (from 7) and, linked to the increase in councillor numbers, to consider the possible introduction of parish warding arrangements .

Residents and interested organisations are invited to submit their views on the proposals for change. The closing date for submissions is 20 September 2018.

Further details of the various proposals, maps (where appropriate), and consultation response forms can be accessed on our Consultations  web page. 

Allowances for parish and town councillors  

Regulations allow parish and town councils to pay councillors a basic allowance and travel allowances.  Parish and town councils do not need to consider or pay such allowances.

The District Council's independent remuneration panel also sits as a parish remuneration panel.  Any recommendations made by the panel must be considered by a parish or town council if they want to introduce an allowance scheme.  However, the recommendations are not binding on the council. 

The council can decide to pay just the chairman or all the councillors.  If it pays all councillors, the chairman's allowance must be higher.

Parish and town councils must give public notice of any allowance scheme they use.  The scheme must be available for inspection or to buy from the parish or town council.  After the end of each financial year, the council must publish details of any allowances paid.

Code of Conduct for parish and town councillors  

Councils must have a code of conduct.  However, this code is not necessarily the same as the one adopted by the District Council.

To find out about your parish or town council’s code of conduct please contact the clerk to your parish or town council.

Register of interests

Parish and town councillors must complete a register of members' interest form.  This is a requirement of the code of conduct.

The District Council holds the register of interests for parish and town councillors.  These may also be inspected at the council offices at Trinity Road, Cirencester, during normal office hours.

Complaints against parish and town councillors

To make a complaint that a councillor is not following the code of conduct, use our general enquiry form or write to the Monitoring Officer at the address in the contact us section at the bottom of the page. 

Cotswold District Council
Trinity Road