The Council is aware that some areas of the district are currently experiencing problems with the sewers.  This is due to the sheer volume of water entering the sewage network system. Thames Water is responsible for the sewer system and is fully aware of the situation.  Problems are currently being experienced in parts of Cirencester, South Cerney and Fairford.

If you are experiencing specific problems please contact Thames Water direct on 0800 316 9800 or text phone 0800 316 9898

Thames Water is prioritising its responses and for more information about this please see Thames Water’s website /residents/environment/flooding/thames-water/

Public health England has issued a leaflet and some frequently asked questions about flooding and sewer problems this information can be viewed here

If  you are unable to flush your toilet

Public Health England has provided the following advice:

The following options may be available to householders whose toilets cannot be used:

It may be possible and practicable to use the facilities of unaffected family, friends, neighbours, public toilets, local shops, supermarkets and hotels. Chemical toilets ("portaloos") may be provided in your area – contact Cotswold District Council on 01285 62300.

Portable bag in bag products (e.g. "Brief relief", "wag bag") designed for solid and urine waste may be provided in your area. Once used according to manufacturers' instructions, the waste bag should be placed inside another bag, such as a bin liner, and disposed of in the usual way.

General information about the sewer system

Thames Water are responsible for making sure our sewer network is well maintained and running smoothly, but their remit does not extend to investigating and solving groundwater, river flooding or surface water problems. This falls to local authorities and the Environment Agency.

Sewer flooding

Outside your home

If flooding has not entered your home, please do not call Thames Water until water levels have subsided. There is nothing they can do until this happens, so please help them focus on those customers with sewage in their homes.

Inside your home

If you are suffering from flooding inside your home please call Thames Water on 0845 9200 800 and they will investigate.

River flooding

Contact the Environment Agency on their 24-hour Floodline 0845 9881 188. If your property is flooded by river water, contact your home insurers as soon as possible.

More information

For more information go to the Thames Water Website


If you need to speak to someone about roadside gullies, highways drainage or locating sandbags, please contact Cotswold District Council on 01285 623000.




Cotswold District Council
Trinity Road