Assisted collections and 'sharps'
We can make special arrangements to collect refuse and recycling outside the properties of householders who cannot manage their waste because of ill health, permanent disability or infirmity. Please send a note from your GP, health visitor or other health professional confirming that an assisted collection would be required to Waste Management.
We cannot go into your house so your waste and recycling containers need to be easily accessible outside your house in your garden.
Disposal of 'sharps'
Sharps and sharp boxes must not be disposed of in the general household rubbish. Nor can clinical waste be taken to the Household Recycling Centre - you may not only be risking your own health but that of the crews who pick up the waste.
Using a special sharps box is the safest way to dispose of hypodermic needles. These are available on prescription from your local GP surgery or can be purchased directly from a pharmacy at a small cost. Once full, boxes must be returned sealed to either your local surgery or to one of the pharmacies in Gloucestershire participating in the take back scheme.
The following local pharmacies participate in the 'take back' scheme for the safe disposal of syringes:
- Boots, Cricklade Street, Cirencester
- Boots, Market Place, Fairford
- Byers, High St, Moreton-in-Marsh
- Chesterton, 16 Chesterton Lane, Cirencester
- Chipping Campden Pharmacy, High Street, Chipping Campden
- Cotswold Pharmacy, Market Place, Northleach
- Hortons, 7 Market Place, Cirencester
- Lechlade Pharmacy, High St, Lechlade
- Lloyds, 24 Ashcroft Gardens, Cirencester
- Lloyds, 39 Long St, Tetbury
- Rowlands Pharmacy, 2-3 The Chestnuts, Bourton-on-the-Water
- Stow Pharmacy, Market Square, Stow-on-the-Wold
- Tesco In Store Pharmacy, Kingsmeadow, Cirencester
- The Laurels, 3 Clarkes Hay, South Cerney
For a full list of the Gloucestershire pharmacies offering the 'take back' service please visit:
Other clinical waste
You can double bag other clinical non-infectious waste and put out with your non-recyclable household waste.