Approved premises - FAQs
Are there any exemptions?
An exemption may be available if less than 25% of your overall product is supplied to other food business’s and the products are limited to local supply, meaning Gloucestershire and any adjoining county. For clarification please call the food and safety team on: 01285 623 000.
How do I become Approved?
To apply for an approval, please complete the application form below. In addition to this form, extra information will be required to support your approval. The additional information is listed below. NB a call to the food and safety team is recommended to clarify the exact documentation required as we will not be able to process your application unless all the right documentation is supplied. NB a visit to your premises will also have to be made, should you wish to gain advice on the fabric and fittings of your premises you should arrange for this visit to be undertaken from the outset.
What supporting information do you need?
A plan or plans of the establishment indicating:
- The layout of the establishment,
- The location of equipment,
- Work flows for each product line.
- Water distribution system within the establishment including all outlets and sampling points.
- Drainage layout
- Pest control- baiting and/or trapping points within the establishment and external areas.
- All HACCP documentation
- Supplier Information/ Audits
- Product List
- Details of the Raw ingredients
- Product Shelf Life and Water Test Results
- Example of Production Records
- Sampling Programme
- Management and Key Contact Names and details
- Traceability arrangements and Product Recall Procedures
- Labels (printed, reprinted and use of) and commercial documents bearing the health mark.
- Details of ingredient(s) used (supplier(s)/product specification(s)
- Dates and times when your premises will be available for inspection prior to commencing production.
How can I forward this information to you?
The information can be sent by email, post or fax along with the completed application form. You will be contacted by phone if there is an issue with the application, otherwise a certificate of approval will be sent out to you in due course.
What if I’m already approved and wish to add product lines?
The food and safety team at Cotswold District Council receive numerous requests from existing approved premises to either extend their existing approval or start a new approval for different products.
An example of this could be an existing dairy who now wish to start making cheese or an existing hard cheese maker who wishes to start making soft cheeses. This will in effect require a new approval or an amendment to an existing approval.
The information listed below will be now required from the outset on all future applications to enable us to prioritise your approval.
Approval will be granted within 28 days.
NB this only applies to existing approved premises AND applications will not be considered unless ALL the relevant information is enclosed.
- Process Flow Chart for new product(s)
- HACCP for new product(s)
- Satisfactory microbiological records for new product(s)
- Details of ingredient(s) used (supplier(s)/product specification(s))
The information can be sent by email, post or fax and you will not need to complete an application form. You will be contacted by phone if there is an issue with the application, otherwise a certificate of approval will be sent out to you.
Food and Safety
Cotswold District Council, Trinity Road, Cirencester, Gloucestershire, GL7 1PX
Telephone: 01285 623 000
Fax: 01285 623 910