Hackney carriage vehicles licences
To operate your vehicle as a taxi you need to get it licensed.
Hackney Carriage (taxi) vehicles
- can be hailed immediately (or pre-booked) by customers
- can use the designated taxi ranks anywhere within the Cotswold District Council area
- have maximum meter fares set by the council
Requirements of licence
- The vehicle must be fitted with a meter, roof signs, no smoking signs, first aid kit and fire extinguisher
Documents required with taxi licence application
- Insurance showing that you are covered for hire and reward/public hire use
- Meter calibration certificate
- An MOT (no more than 4 weeks old)
- V5 (or proof of purchase)
- Completed application form (when you sign this you are agreeing to our conditions which can be found in the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy)
Taxi licence fee
There is a fee of £195
Apply for a hackney carriage vehicle licence
Please return your completed application form, documents and fee by:
- email (pay by phone) to: email@example.com
- post or deliver to: Licensing, Environmental and Regulatory Services, Trinity Road, Cirencester, GL7 1PX
Your licence will be processed within 5 working days.
Taxi licence renewals
Please make sure that you know your licence expiry date. Renewal documents will not be provided so as the licence holder it's your responsibility to:
- download the application form from this page
- make sure you return the form to Environmental and Regulatory Services (ERS) 7 working days before the licence expires so we can process your renewal.
Transfers of vehicle licences
Transfers follow the same requirements as new vehicles and will be processed within 1 working day.