There are two types of driver licences:
Dual driver (hackney carriage)
- can drive both taxis and private hire vehicles
- need to pass an area knowledge test
Private hire driver
- can only drive private hire vehicles
- cannot accept any bookings unless they either are, or work for, a licensed private hire operator within the Cotswold District Council area
Apply to be a private hire or dual driver
Contact us on 01285 623000 to book and pay for a knowledge test (dual driver applications only):
- It costs £245 for dual drivers (hackney carriage)
- You must take photo identification with you to test
- You will get your result within 5 days of the test
When you have passed the knowledge test please:
- Download the medical form and make an appointment with your GP to have a medical
- Complete a driver assessment test: contact Gloucestershire County Council on 01452 425662 to book
- Obtain a DVLA reference number from GOV.UK
- Complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check (see below). These must be done every 3 years.
Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks
Apply for a DBS check
- Select: Disclosure and barring service (DBS) application
- Enter the following details:
- Organisation reference - COTSWOLD
- Password – council
When you have completed and submitted the form, please:
- email your reference number to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To process your application, you must bring 3 forms of identification to the Council offices to be checked by a member of reception. Applicants who hold a valid passport and drivers licence must present these as 2 of their 3 forms of ID. For a full list of ID that is allowed for a DBS check please:
If you have any previous cautions or convictions, these will need to be determined by a Licensing Sub-Committee. Please refer to our policy on convictions for more information.
Apply for a dual driver licence
Apply for a private hire driver licence
Fill in medical form
Please return your completed application form, DBS reference number, medical certificate, DVLA reference number, assessment certificate, a passport photo, documents and fee by:
- email (pay by phone) to: email@example.com
- post or deliver to: Licensing, Environmental and Regulatory Services, Trinity Road, Cirencester, GL7 1PX
Applications must be submitted fully complete to be processed. Your application will be processed within 5 working days.
Renewing a licence
Please make sure that you know your licence expiry date. Renewal documents will not be provided so as the licence holder it's your responsibility to:
- download the application form from this page
- make sure you return the form to Environmental and Regulatory Services (ERS) 7 working days before the licence expires so we can process your renewal.
Please return your completed renewal forms by:
- emailing them to: firstname.lastname@example.org or
- posting or delivering them to: Licensing, Environmental and Regulatory Services, Trinity Road, Cirencester,GL7 1PX
Renewal fees can be paid over the phone by ringing 01285 623000.
Immigration Act 2016 - proof of right to work
From 1 December 2016, applicants will be required to prove that they have the right to work within the UK. We will call to book a 10 minute face to face interview to check your right to work in the UK. You will need to bring in original documents for this check, please view the list of suitable ID below:
- the list of valid ID documents
- if you have a permanent right to work within the UK, you will need to bring in a form of ID from List A
- If you have a period of 'leave' you will need to bing in a form of ID from List B, Group 1 or Group 2 depending on which group applies to you.
This check is only needed once and, if you have the right to work, won't be required for future renewals. If you have a period of ‘leave’ we will need to check each time the licence is renewed. We will keep copies of the documents on file for audit purposes and for potential information sharing with the Home Office.