Caravan & campsites

To run a caravan and/or camping site within the Cotswold District you may need a licence from us. There are three types of licence.

  • Residential
  • Holiday
  • Touring site 

Planning permission is required before this licence can be applied for, to apply see:

The purpose of the licence is to protect the health, safety and welfare of caravan occupants and to address issues such as fire safety, electrical safety, drainage, adequate amenities and a wholesome water supply. 

You can be fined up to £2,500 for permitting any part of your land to be used as a caravan site without holding a site licence.

You don’t need a licence for:

  • A caravan sited within the curtilage of a dwelling, provided the caravan is not occupied separately.
  • A single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club.
  • Sites of up to five caravans certified by an exempt organisation which are for members only.
  • Sites occupied by the local authority. These are usually gypsy sites.
  • Sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies run by exempted organisations, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen.
  • A site for tents only can be used for a maximum of 42 days consecutively or 60 days in a 12 month period. (Planning consent is required for use of land on more than 28 days.)

Apply online for a caravan and camping site

Caravan/camping site licence


Camp site licence


There is no fee for this licence.

Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.

Next steps in application for a caravan and camping licence

If you haven’t heard from us by the end of the target completion period please contact the council.   

Licence conditions

We may put conditions on the licence.

Cotswold District Council
Trinity Road