Caravan & campsites
To run a caravan and/or camping site within the Cotswold District you may need a licence from us. There are three types of licence.
- Touring site
Planning permission is required before this licence can be applied for, to apply see:
The purpose of the licence is to protect the health, safety and welfare of caravan occupants and to address issues such as fire safety, electrical safety, drainage, adequate amenities and a wholesome water supply.
You can be fined up to £2,500 for permitting any part of your land to be used as a caravan site without holding a site licence.
You don’t need a licence for:
- A caravan sited within the curtilage of a dwelling, provided the caravan is not occupied separately.
- A single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
- Up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
- Sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club.
- Sites of up to five caravans certified by an exempt organisation which are for members only.
- Sites occupied by the local authority. These are usually gypsy sites.
- Sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies run by exempted organisations, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen.
- A site for tents only can be used for a maximum of 42 days consecutively or 60 days in a 12 month period. (Planning consent is required for use of land on more than 28 days.)
Apply online for a caravan and camping site
Caravan/camping site licence
Camp site licence
There is no fee for this licence.
Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.
Next steps in application for a caravan and camping licence
If you haven’t heard from us by the end of the target completion period please contact the council.
We may put conditions on the licence.