Our shared working with West Oxfordshire District Council began in November 2008 with the appointment of David Neudegg as Joint Chief Executive. This was followed by the sharing of the Strategic Director of Resources and other senior management and officer posts including:
- Strategic Director for Environment
- Head of Business Information and Change
- Head of Customer Services
- Head of Revenues and Benefits
- Head of Environmental Services
- Principal Engineer
- Information Management Officer
- Building Control Manager
- Environmental Health Manager
- Finance, Procurement, Human Resources and Payroll teams (shared between four local authorities)
- IT, Audit and Legal Services
Sharing services with neighbouring councils brings us substantial savings (approximately £1.5 million per year) and is a vital part of our efficiency programme.
Through shared services and a range of other efficiency measures, we now save about £3 million per year in total – and this figure is growing annually.
In addition to shared working, efficiency measures have included the appointment of Everyone Active (SLM) in 2013 to run our leisure and cultural services (an estimated saving of £3 million over the next 10 years) and – jointly with Cheltenham Borough Council - the establishment of Ubico Ltd to operate waste collections in the Cotswolds and Cheltenham, saving this Council alone a total of almost £600,000 per year in running costs.
2020: New vision for joint working
Our Council is working with West Oxfordshire, Forest of Dean and Cheltenham Councils to deliver more efficiency savings and protect public services.
For more details, including Minutes from the Programme Board Meetings, see 2020 Vision Programme