Register to vote

How to register to vote

If you are not included in the electoral register you cannot vote and you may be refused credit if you apply for a loan, buy a phone or need a mortgage.

Anyone who is 16 or over can register, but you can only vote when you reach 18. You can register at any time, but there are deadlines when an election is running - for more details please:

Individual registration

To register online, visit the register to vote online page 

Register to vote at GOV.UK

You will need to provide your name, address, date of birth and national insurance number.

Your application will be checked by the Government Digital Service and sent to us electronically. If your details match the government records, we will send you a confirmation letter about a week after you submit your application.

If your details don't match, we will ask you for further evidence of your identity. This could be your passport or driving licence or other documents.

Once you are registered and have received confirmation from us, you will only need to re-register if you move house or change your name - you can do this by registering online with the new details.

Paper application forms are available from the Elections Team if required.

Your personal details

The Electoral Registration Officer keeps two registers – the electoral register and the open register (also known as the edited register).  When you register, you will be asked if you want to be included or excluded from the open register.

The electoral register

The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote.

It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as:

  • detecting crime (e.g. fraud)
  • calling people for Jury Service
  • checking credit applications

The open register

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote. For more details, please:

Cotswold District Council
Trinity Road